06- The Family Gamers Podcast – Boston FIG
Thanks for tuning in! This week, we talk about the Boston Festival of Indie Games, with some special guests – our kids!
More information about the games we saw at Boston FIG:
- Project Rocket Golfing (iOS, by Morgan McGuire)
- Simple graphics with realistic gravity
- No win/lose, just earn awards for passing certain milestones (under par, hole-in-one, finished all holes (“planets”) on on course (“galaxy”)
- Only 99 cents!
- Howie & Yarla (“the game where the red went all over the school, and then he went with a snake on him”) – not yet available
- A Tofu Tail
- Pizza! Fast!
- free-to-play iOS game (ad supported)
- restaurant simulation game with
- Grow Fairy Kingdoms (by Yaya Play Games)
- semi-simultaneous play (everyone grows their plant at the same time, then takes turns attacking)
- non-lethal attacking (“pruning”)
- must “gift” to other players in each growing round, which both makes things less fully random but also encourages balance
- Maze Racers
- 2-4 players – you each build a maze for a marble to run through
- When everyone is done, trade mazes, then race!
- Slideways (by Tricia McLaughlin)
- 4×4 tic-tac-toe with a twist
- great travel game
- 2-3 players
- Oh My Gods!
- “guess the hidden card” game themed on the Greek gods
- Each god also has a power to reveal or swap out cards
- Why The Long Face?
- “Face charades”
- We never thought pictures of taxidermied animals could be so hilarious!
- Fishing and Farting (card game)
- Smorball (online typing game)
- MegaloMalady (iOS / Android)
- Sneaky Cards
- Flashlights & Fireflys (by Pair of Jacks Games / Jeff Johnston)
- Toasted or Roasted (by Pair of Jacks Games / Jeff Johnston)
- Robit Riddle – simple role-playing for kids, choose-your-own-adventure style!
- Loose Nozzles – Foster Family Games. iOS rocket flying game, all artwork / sounds done by 6-year-old Ian.
Remember to enter the giveaway for the complete Hero Kids set on our Facebook page!